The 2021 edition of the MOPC has for theme “When Circular Economy Saves the Ocean”.
This year the Challenge is open to all undergraduate and graduate students, or recent alumni graduated within the last 5 years from any schools (Business schools, Engineering Schools, Design or Artistic schools…) and open to startups created after June 2020.
Thus the Monaco Ocean Protection Challenge encompasses two categories of competitors:
- A Category “Students”
- A Category “Start uppers”
The 6 Finalist teams will be brought out to Monaco with travel and accommodation paid, to the finals in the Oceanographic Museum of Monaco, on June 16.
Students and start uppers have to register on the MOPC website (monaco-opc.com) before April 30, and submit a Business Plan and a 1-minute video presenting your business plan and idea by May 7.
In May, a first jury, composed by representatives of the 4 organizing institutions and entrepreneurs will select the 3 finalist teams in the category “students” and the 3 finalist teams in the category “start uppers”.
The final jury on the June 16, composed by renowned entrepreneurs, investors and experts in Circular Economy, will decide and give the prizes and awards:
- The First Prize for the category “Students” is a yearly induction and networking program: entrepreneurs’ club membership, Amis du Musée Oceanographique membership, passes for leading International events (Monaco Ocean Week, Change Now Summit Paris, Dayone Event…)
- The First Prize for the category “Start Uppers” is a cheque of 15.000 €, financing a concrete part of company development (IT, database, materials …)
The Monaco Ocean Protection Challenge is a business concept pitching competition initiated by the Oceanographic Institute, Monaco Impact, the Prince Albert II of Monaco Foundation and the International University of Monaco.
Its mission is:
- To highlight, support, and grow young entrepreneurs and startups that can demonstrate a measurable positive impact on the Oceans.
- To provide the opportunity to create and develop a startup company, even if you’re completely new to business.
- To raise awareness about Ocean Pollution and search for new methods of tackling the situation.